Prospective Students

If you are looking to apply to the graduate department of physics of Texas Tech, here are a number of things that you should look at:

For all incoming students, here’s a list of useful websites to find places to live:

For international students, here are two important locations:

Financial Assistance:

The physics department offers two types of financial assistance for graduate students: Teaching Assistant (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) assistantship. Depending on whether you come as a RA or TA, here are few things to keep in mind:

To obtain assistantship, incoming students are required to file a New Employee Work Packet. Texas Tech requires these documents to recognize any new TAs and RAs as official employees. These documents are sent to you after you have been admitted and they need to be approved by the Department Chair. Once these have been submitted, the documents are sent to Student Business services.

The assistantship also provides a monthly stipend of approximately $1725.26  for both TAs and RAs. The first stipend is given after the first month of enrollment, that is, after October 1. Therefore, please be aware that you might need to have some money saved up to cover up costs for food and living.

For TAs the stipend is provided for 9 months, that is, for the academic year and might be extended to cover for summer semesters.

For RAs the stipend is provided for 12 months and this will depend on the research advisor.

More information regarding assistantship can be found here.

For questions, feel free to contact us.